commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC3
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:45:58 GMT
Thanks for the feedback (and vote) Robert, comments inline...

On 3/21/06, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 05:37 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > I have just uploaded release candidate 3 (RC3) for Commons Validator 1.3.0.
> >
> > Thanks for all the feedback on RC2, differences from that RC are:
> >
> > - corrected problems with "localized" tests
> > - corrected a problem generating the md5 checksums
> > - sigs have been generated for this RC
> > - ant build now automatically downloads dependencies (requires less setup)
> > - "build.properties.sample" file included in source distro
> > - release notes now point to local copy of changes-report.html (rather than
> > online)
> > - source distro now unpacks to a different directory
> >
> > RC3 is here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc3/
>
> the extra detached signatures for the md5 files had me worried for a
> minute 8-)
>
> > Site here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc3/site/
>
> a few minor nits:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc3/site/javascript/org/apache/commons/validator/javascript/index.html
contains ##### REFER TO NON-SPEC DOCUMENTATION HERE #####

OK I've removed this, but I don't believe its worth generating a new RC for it.

> you have two checkstyle violations:
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc3/site/checkstyle-report.html

Great, Validator 1.2.0 had 207 warnings and 68 errors! Sorry,
seriously though I plan to leave this unchanged. I can't change the
method signatures just for checkstyle - but I want these things
highlighted for anything new.

> probably want to exclude tests from simian analysis

Good idea, I've added the appropriate property to project.properties to do so.

> > Release notes here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator-1.3.0-rc3/site/changes-report.html
>
> i'm not very keen on this style of release notes: IMHO users expect to
> be able to read release notes in the download. i'd prefer a relative
> reference to the copy in the documentation

There is a copy in the binary distro and it includes a
RELEASE-NOTES.html in the root directory that has a relative reference
to the changes-report.html