commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.3.0 based on RC2
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 03:15:02 GMT
> The maven build fails for me on RH FC2, both Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 and
> 1.4.2_10 with the same failures attached below.  Could be my local
> setup or some undocumented config dependencies (I tried to config the
> javadoc thingy mentioned in maven.xml, but still see the same
> failures).  I get the same failures with Ant, once build properties
> are set.

The stack traces are misleading - they're from an "exception test"
that actually passes. The problem seems to be that
CurrencyValidatorTest has failed for you. Could you post the output
for that test please?

> Some additional (non-blocking) comments:
>
> I personally prefer the source distro to unpack to -src.
>
> The source distro should include a build.properties.sample, as the Ant
> build does not grab dependencies and location properties have to be
> set.  Some properties seem to be missing (e.g. "oro.jar" is used but
> never set in the build.xml).  Also, it would be good for the ant build
> to include comments on which versions of the commons jars are required
> and also to encapsulate the names.  We should not be encouraging
> people to continue the old practice of renaming release jars.  Both of
> these issues could be worked around by modifying the ant build to grab
> the dependencies.

There is a build.properties.sample, but it wasn't being included in
the source distro - I've changed the build to now include this. I've
also updated the ant build to automatically download dependencies.
Because of the md5 problem Rahul/Henri found there needs to be a new
RC anyway, so these will be available then.

> I don't like the practice of having release notes just point to online
> docs.  This is common practice in commons, but IMO it is a bad one -
> we should include text copies of full release notes with the releases.

I've changed the release notes to be a html document and have a link
which points  to a local copy of the "changes-report.html" - which
includes full details of all changes in the version.

Thanks for taking the time to review and feedback on this RC - much appreciated.

Niall