commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Boris Unckel" <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [logging] JCL2.0 design - API
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:35:56 GMT
Hello,

> Von: Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
> I just wanted to mention this solution if Log had to remain an
> interface, but I won't support it. I prefer to turn Log into an abstract
> class.

To turn Log into an abstract class means that no native implementation will
ever be possible. It would definitly mean that you will need an wrapper
class. Currently there is just x4juli supporting native JCL support for
java.util.logging (X4JuliLogger extends jul.Logger implements JCL).
But this is also a chance for log4j2.

The wrapper class approach has _heavy_ performance issues (Up to x-hundred
percent). I am working on some benchmarking for all established loggers, but
I have to check the code, provide some good ant skript before publishing.

Regards
Boris