commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [all] Suggestion for all of Commons
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:55:24 GMT
On Wed, March 29, 2006 1:42 pm, Martin Cooper said:
> You did. See:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/dependencies.html
>
> This is the standard location for the dependency list for all Commons
> components.

Yep, was pointed out to me.  As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd
personally like to see that not buried beneath a "branch" like it is... I
for one didn't know that was the standard location for Commons, I can't
imagine I'm the only one that didn't know that.

> The stack trace should have shown a NoClassDefFoundError indicating a
> class
> in Commons IO. I haven't seen a situation where that's not the case, and
> that's also been the case for all of the people who've asked about it on
> the
> list, at least that I can recall.

It didn't... I think its because the method that uses FileUpload was
called from a piece of code that was reflectively creating its class and
calling it, so I was catching InvocationTargetException there, and that's
what was showing up in the logs... that's what I was seeing in the logs,
and the first line of the trace was the code inside the catch block, not
any code in the class using FileUpload.  It was a bit confusing for a few
minutes.

> Aside from the fact that Class.forName is generally not a good idea in a
> J2EE environment

I hadn't heard that.  Why is that?

> , I personally have a strong dislike for static
> initialisers, so I'm not inclined to do something like this for components
> work on.

Fair enough, I just wanted to make the suggestion.  I'm interested though,
why don't you like static initializers?  Just curious ;)

> Martin Cooper

Frank