commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [pool] Announcing Release Candidate 2 for Pool 1.3
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:37:50 GMT
Sandy McArthur wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@t-online.de> wrote:
>> I tested RC2 with Commons Configuration and did not find any problems
>> (but this is not too meaningful because the dependency to Commons Pool
>> is only used by a test case for the database configuration class).
>>
>> Some notes:
>>
>> - There is no release notes file in neither the source nor the binary
>> distro.
>
> Both have a readme with the highlights and info where a complete
> release notes can be found.
>
> Binary distro has docs/release-notes-1.3.html
> Source distro has xdocs/release-notes-1.3.xml
>
> Is something else needed?
Most other components have a RELEASE-NOTES.txt in their top level
directory, and that's where I first looked. Maybe it makes sense to add
a simple file that only points to the "real" release notes in the
subdirectories?

>> - LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt have unix style line endings in the zips.
>> (This is not a problem for me, but was cause for some discussions in the
>> past.)
>
> I'm on a mac os x box and unix style would be the default. How do
> other projects solve this other than building on win32?
As other replies to this thread indicate, there is no single solution.
In addition to the brought up suggestions, AFAIK newer versions of
maven's dist plugin are able to handle at least the txt files in the top
level directory correctly.

>> - I had a problem building with ant (ClassNotFoundError for
>> junit/textui/TestRunner), but this can be a problem with my setup (did
>> not do much with ant recently).
>
> the junit.jar property needs to be set as a path to the junit jar.
> This is showed in tbe build.proerties.sample file.
okay

Oliver