commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][all] Break dependency on commons-build
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:32:37 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> At the moment, each project depends on commons-build:
> - maven.css - single commons css
> - commons-site.jsl - single commons style
> - menus.dtd - shared menu components
>
> As the recent IO release has shown, this dependency isn't great when
> releasing.

I agree that the current setup is less than optimal, but I have two
reservations

1. Are you sure that a component build only relies on these 3 files (+
the menus folder)? To me it seems that there are more files in
commons-build that would be picked up by a component. Perhaps this only
happens when a component extends the project.xml in commons-build? This
only affects chain at the moment, but it should be investigated.

2. Do we want to try this now? This would have to be made fairly
transparent for each component. Otherwise we will have complaints like
   "it's difficult to build component X without common-build"
instead of
   "it's difficult to build component X with common-build"

> I propose we remove the css dependency as follows:
>
> 1) Add the following one line project.css to each project:
> @import url("http://jakarta.apache.org/style/jakarta.css");
>
> 2) Upload jakarta.css to this location (I've created a suitable one)
> which contains our colours and designs (eg. blue headers)
>
> Each page in commons will then use the maven-base and maven-theme css
> files as per default maven. The jakarta.css file then overrides these as
> needed. Thus most users will see no change.
>
> If the user is running a copy of the website on their own box and they
> are offline, then the standard maven colours and design will be used
> (eg. grey and red headers).
>
> If we want to update all commons websites, we just update jakarta.css.

+1

I'd be glad to help test/develop this.

> I propose we remove the menus.dtd dependency by just removing it. Users
> will just have to click a couple more links to move between components.
> IMHO, the simplicity of the resulting design overrides the loss of
> functionality.

+0

Can't really see how this would look, perhaps you can provide an example?

> Stephen

Dennis Lundberg