commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL][all] Break dependency on commons-build
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:47:52 GMT
At the moment, each project depends on commons-build:
- maven.css - single commons css
- commons-site.jsl - single commons style
- menus.dtd - shared menu components

As the recent IO release has shown, this dependency isn't great when
releasing.

I propose we remove the css dependency as follows:

1) Add the following one line project.css to each project:
@import url("http://jakarta.apache.org/style/jakarta.css");

2) Upload jakarta.css to this location (I've created a suitable one)
which contains our colours and designs (eg. blue headers)

Each page in commons will then use the maven-base and maven-theme css
files as per default maven. The jakarta.css file then overrides these as
needed. Thus most users will see no change.

If the user is running a copy of the website on their own box and they
are offline, then the standard maven colours and design will be used
(eg. grey and red headers).

If we want to update all commons websites, we just update jakarta.css.

I propose we remove the menus.dtd dependency by just removing it. Users
will just have to click a couple more links to move between components.
IMHO, the simplicity of the resulting design overrides the loss of
functionality.

Stephen