commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sharon Lourduraj <sharon.lourdu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:31:55 GMT
Hello Phil,

Prime Number Theory is a huge subject. To start of with we can focus on
implementing prime finding methods, such as divide by odd numbers up to
the square root of a number, divide by primes up to the square root of a
number and Sieve of Eratosthenes. As we move along, we can implement
prime finding of specific types, Mersenne Prime, Twin Primes,
Palindromic Primes etc. And as we move along with those implementations,
we can introduce Primality Proving algorithms.

Some sites:
Basic Prime Number finding -
http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/primenumbers/primenumbers.htm
Prime Numbers - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeNumber.html (good site
to learn the ins/outs of prime numbers)
Primality Proving - http://primes.utm.edu/

Also, we can work on implementing optimized algorithms...I think that
would be fun. The practical purpose of Prime Numbers can be extended
into encryption/decryption algorithms, but implementing those algorithms
might be beyond the scope of this project.

Thanks,
-Sharon