commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Alternative ConfigurationFactory
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:40:19 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Oliver Heger wrote on Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:14 PM:
>
>> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Did you think about an interface for this? Does it make
>> sense to have different implementations of such
>> builders/factories? Initialize from JNDI or DB  (... or
>> implement inclusion of other configurations as part of the
>> Configuration core interface)?
>> I have no concrete use case for multiple implementations of such an
>> interface ATM, but this does not mean that it won't make sense. It is
>> certainly possible that somebody might need to create a configuration
>> from other sources or use a completly different form of the definition
>> file. So I am +1 for an interface.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean by "implement inclusion of other
>> configurations as part of the Configuration core interface". Should
>> every Configuration implementation support the inclusion of
>> other sources?
>
> Well, if we go down the road of multiple implementations for a ConfigurationBuilder (XML,
Properties, DB, JNDI, ...) I have slightly a deja vu :)
Yes, and we could probably continue this game on arbitrary meta levels
introducing configurations for configurations for configurations ... ;-)

> So what about enhancing Configuration for an inclusion mechanism? Several impls already
have this (XML, Properties), but not in a generic way and not with the possibility to include
parts of the configuration from other sources. I am just thinking out loud here, I am not
aware of all the possible implications of this idea (and if it is really necessary).

> - Jörg

XMLConfiguration does not support this feature, so it's actually only
PropertiesConfiguration. I think if inclusion became a mandatory
feature, it would complicate configuration implementations
significantly. And exactly for the purpose of combining configuration
sources ConfigurationFactory was created.

Oliver