commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] User guide
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 07:11:04 GMT
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe it's a question of taste, but I would prefer a single (logic)
>> document for our user guide (with a global table of contents) over the
>> lose collection of howtos we have now. If nobody objects, I will work on
>> such a document.
>>
> <snip/>

Hi Rahul,

thanks for your comments. It seems that [scxml] is pretty much in line
with the things that I plan.

> For [scxml], a similar effort is underway, we have a logically single,
> and growing user guide [1], with a ToC that attempts to tie things
> together. In addition, we have usecases [2] -- a usecases section may
> not be too relevant for [configuration].
>
> When I look at [configuration] docs, I see the overview page [3] as
> the ToC that attempts to tie things in. That theme probably needs to
> be more pronounced, and link to the individual howtos -- is that what
> you meant?
Well, sort of. The overview page only deals with a subset of the
available features, and as a first contact with the library I fear it's
more confusing than helpful (because it contains information on
different levels of details).

I plan to use the howtos as starting point, bring them in a logic order
(from simple to more complex) and provide some gluing text. During this
process further sections about topics not yet covered can be added. The
result will be accessable from a new page that contains the ToC.

Oliver

<snip/>