commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blatant self promotion of blog
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:27:13 GMT
On 3/16/06, Brian K. Wallace <brian@transmorphix.com> wrote:

> Henri -
>
>   I like the "overview" - especially the separation of "New", "Notable"
> and (my favorite) "Summary". It does give a quick 'overview'. As is I'd
> probably prefer organization by component vs. issue number order, but
> that's just me.

Heh, yeah the order is entirely because it's the easiest way to do it.

>   However... ;-)
>
>   I think your direction of a blog-type format at apache for committers
> to post to would be a definite plus for this type of thing. Not sure I'd
> go the 'blog' route, but I definitely wouldn't go Wiki-style, either.
> (so what is left? :-/) This would allow the "more comments on an issue
> makes it 'Notable'" theory to prevail vs. someone deciding it was
> "Notable" to them. How the "Summary" would come about would be an
> interesting point to ponder, tho'.

Notable's a bad title actually, I'll stop using it. We use Notable at
work because we have some basic filtering in place to let us focus on
the things we care about - but in the case of the blog it's not
"Notable" it's "Modified".

>   All in all, it would be great if you're just looking at a few things -
> but all of commons? Wow. That'd be... interesting. (hence my "not a
> Wiki-style" view)

It's not as noisy as I thought it would be. Of course it's a possible
catch-22; if this was one thing that helped increase issue activity,
I'd find myself swamped by success. Some of the reason for the Jakarta
re-org dicussions I've been pushing along are that if Jakarta got very
active again - the current chair role would be impossible to fulfill.

>   And as a side question: With the "apache-way" of mailing lists,
> wouldn't this be pseudo-circumventing that? (Not that I minimize the
> benefit of 'summaries'/'roll-ups', just seems like duplicitous entry
> which most people don't favor) And going the 'sounds good' route, it
> almost seems like a "roll-up" would be more appropriately published to a
> 'list' somewhere as well. (Almost like the "Commons Bug Report" - but not.)

Yeah, I was hesitant to hit the list with more push noise, pull seemed
like a much better approach.

The ASF is going to have to change with the mailing-list only
viewpoint I think - so I can definitely imagine a time when we have
Roller running on a zone in which each project has a blog.

Hen