commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Happy with Maven1 Was: [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Maven2MigrationPlan" by MartinCooper
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:04:05 GMT
That's a very good point. Do we:

1) Want to keep Commons on a unified build system?
2) Want to keep Commons sites on a similar style?
3) Want to only support one build system?

My personal view is that our Maven-1 current build system for Commons
is overly complicated - it needs to be simpler. The Maven-2 proposed
one is definitely better, and we need to make sure we don't get sloppy
and start using unreleased or complex things. Not that we can move to
Maven-2 as things aren't released.

Currently we support Ant and Maven-1; though poorly. We need a CI
system that runs maven ant on the chiefly Maven-1 ones, and warns when
the chiefly Ant ones change build.xml's without an m1 change. I can't
imagine getting away from Ant builds - so unless we go back to Ant
alone, we'll always have 2 systems.

I'd like to get around the issue of keeping the sites similar by
making the sites hugely simpler - another place where we
over-complicate I think.

Hen