commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Boris Unckel" <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject [logging] FAQ - WebSphere 5.1
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:16:10 GMT
Good Morning,

> How Can I Use Commons-Logging In WebSphere 5.1?
> I'm using WebSphere 5.1. Commons-Logging doesn't seem to recognize my
> commons-logging.properties file. Help!
> Set EAR classloader mode as PARENT_LAST and WAR classloader policy as
> Application
This is a bad solution in my opinion: Classloader policy "Application" is a
workaround if you have no correct dependencies in your EAR/WAR combination.
My tests showed that it is possible to get correct results with Classloader
policy "Module" and EAR to "PARENT_LAST" and WAR "PARENT_LAST".

If you have an application with one EAR containing two WARs (i.E. one with a
config for external customers, and one with a config for inhouse use) the
JARs of first loaded will "win". This is not the case for "Module" with two
child-classloaders of the EAR for each WAR.

If their is consensus about the best way to use JCL in WebSphere the entry
should be revisited.

Regards
Boris