commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Proposal: Jakarta Language Components
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:56:09 GMT
On 3/6/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> --- James Ring wrote:
> > Does CLI fit into the picture? Or do you feel that
> > there are issues with it
> > that would prevent it from becoming part of the
> > proposed JLC?

> CLI has dependencies at present. A slimmed down CLIv2
> might be appropriate. Question is whether we believe
> this would be an appropriate J2SE enhancement.

I probably don't know the history of this, but why would the presence
of dependencies on other JLC components make it unappropriate ?
Shouldn't this be a matter of what it does ?

> Thats why I attempted to describe it clearly.
>
> J2SE-based - so no email, xml, xpath, mbeans, daemon,
> db...
> Suitable for adding to the J2SE, so no validator,
> chain, ...
> Broad-shallow API - many small routines, not one task
> per component

Some of these possibly don't even belong to Jakarta (anymore), e.g.
xml/xpath/digester/betwixt could be handled in XML commons, dbutils in
DB etc.

cheers,
Tom