commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] m2 groupId Was: [daemon] Deploying maven 2 pom for release 1.0.1
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 02:39:41 GMT
We don't force the package name as groupId, but the "expected" package
name. eg. junit is in package junit but we'd put it in org.junit.
After that is up to the organization (apache) to decide how org.apache
is splitted.

Now from the apache side ;) sounds like a groupId per PMC is a good
idea, and if at its moment it was decided to go for org.apache.commons
that's a good groupId.

> On 3/3/06, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> > Now answering on the new thread with less spelling errors :)
> >
> > Henri Yandell wrote on Friday, March 03, 2006 6:40 AM:
> >
> > > Re-subjecting this - bit hidden under the old subject.

> > > Suggesting on repository@ that we lock things down so that PMCs have
> > > group space into which only they can write etc etc - either through
> > > SVN or unix groups.
> >
> > It is the recommended way to chose the package name as group id. If Jakartea wouldn't
have an own mirror into the repo at ibiblio, your upload would been refused by the Maven team.
And IMHO it is a good practice, because the user must not guess about an arbitrary chosen
groupId by the developers of a package.

> +1 - I think Nicola Ken used to have a sig that said something like
> "verba volant, scripta manent" (words fly, but what is written
> remains).  I see projects the same way - the package name is durable
> and a property of the codebase, so should be (at least the root of)
> its name in the repo. Jakarta is an org entity that may - sob, groan,
> choke - go away some day.  That's why it was wise IMHO not to insert
> "jakarta" into the package names for o.a.c packages.  The main point,
> though, is that the package name identifies the code in the
> conventional java namespace and I see no reason not to stick with
> that.
>
> Phil

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.