commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems...
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:17:29 GMT

> On 3/4/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Yes we have many, many problems.
> >
> > Site
> > Is this really our top priority? Is maven 2 helping here? Is maven 1? I
>
> Apart from thinking that our failure to work on an out of the box
> system is weak; my complaints are all on the site design. Will write
> stuff up on that - I've a long way to go before anyone is convinced by
> the sounds of it :)
>
> > Inactivity
> > Dormant has helped clarify the position. But are we willing to kick
> > [beanutils] and [dbcp] into dormant? Since all user requests and bugs
> > seem to have been ignored for many months, surely they are dormant? I
> > await the screams from the wider community...
>
> Inactivity is the number one issue

Is it really? Yes, there are one or two components that have a growing list
of open issues that aren't being addressed, but is inactivity really the
number one issue for Commons as a whole? Have we stepped back and taken a
look to see how many components are just "done" for the vast majority of
users? Sure, there will always be things that some people would like to see
added or changed, but is that our business? Taking on any change that any
one person wants to see?

Frankly, I think one of the things that's hurting Commons is excessive
navel-gazing. It's all the threads about how Commons (or Jakarta) is broken
that make me tired of being here. I might even spend some time on code if I
didn't have to spend it reading through all that mail...

--
Martin Cooper

, in the same way that breathing is