commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r382690 - in /jakarta/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/src/site: ./ apt/ apt/index.apt site.xml
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:11:47 GMT

> On 3/3/06, Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 3/3/06, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, seems Maven 2 picks up the xdoc one first. We should probably
> > > discuss if we want to standardise on one or the other doc format prior
> > > to doing too much more work on the migration.
> >

> > If you decide to standardise on what we have now, I'm right with you. If
> you
> > want to standardise on a new format, and therefore require all
> components to
> > switch to something else, then I'm very likely outta here. I have better
> > things to spend my time on than learning a new format when what we have
> > works just fine.
>
> Two problems with our Maven-1 build:
>
> 1) Maven-1.0.2 is not the latest version from the Maven community, so
> there's the support question etc. Not a huge problem - we're stable
> build-wise etc and don't need new things.
>
> 2) I contend it doesn't work fine. We use some bizarre group of
> non-1.0.2 plugins, and getting the site working is a pain in the arse.

IMO, Phil solved that problem by adding this file:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt

I haven't had problems since I used that file as a batch file and got the
exact set of plugin versions. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm far
from being the most frequent builder of any part of the site, so maybe other
people have problems for some other reason, but for me, everything just
works. I'd like to keep it that way without having to learn a new build
system. If other people want to pull the rug out from under themselves,
that's perfectly fine with me. Just don't pull the rug out from under _me_
when it's _you_ that's not happy.

Some of the questions are not about our build system. A group id of
> org.apache.jakarta.commons is more about the maven-2 repository and
> how it stores our jars - and what the foundation policy is.

I guess I don't understand this part. What does that have to do with xdoc
versus apt?

--
Martin Cooper

Hen