commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [primitives] branch policy
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:29:18 GMT
On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 00:25 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >>A release was suggested, but there is no-one around to actually do it.
> >
> > what actually needs doing?
> > (other than the mechanics, of course)
>
> [primitives] is a strange component. I am the de facto maintainer as its
> linked to collections, yet I disagree with the fundamental design
> decisions of the component. So much so I started Joda-Primitives (which
> I never had the itch to release...)

happier developing at joda or would you prefer see that code as the
basis for a commons primitives 2?

> (If you were bored you could look at the original discussions and you'd
> find Rodney was the main instigator of the component and that the design
> changed at one point initially with my consent and then I changed my mind)

thanks: i'll try to track this stuff down

> Anyway, thats the history lesson, and we are where we are. I haven't
> looked at your IntMap class, but if it extends Map then it probably
> belongs in Joda-Primitives, if it doesn't extend Map then it belongs in
> commons-primitives.

had it in mind to introduce a lighter IntMap interface and to provide an
adapter to map. that's the way the rest of commons primitives works. but
i'm pretty agnostic: equally happy to extend Map.

perhaps it might be possible to create code that could easily be added
to both repositories. worth looking into?

> As for the release, well I believe that just needs doing. But even I'm
> not sure of the current state of the code in there. Perhaps we could
> raise Rodney if he's still at Apache?

i haven't noticed any posts by him for quite a while. maybe i'll do some
digging...

> Basically however, its not my itch beyond minor website updates.

ok

- robert