commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject RE: java.util.Service
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:07:43 GMT
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 08:29 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:

<snip>

> I wonder anyway, why we don't try to consolidate discovery, if it makes all this trouble

> (wondering why we have a 0.2 released project in proper) ...

0.x releases solve the problem of a component that is needed by other
projects and wanted by users but whose API is not believed to be
sufficiently stable to promise backwards compatibility. the code base is
of sufficient maturity to be recommended for use but users need to be
made aware that upgrading may not be as smooth as is usual for most
components.

the alternatives are much worse: components like jelly who have been in
alpha for years because their API is not stable or having to allow
releases of components from the sandbox.

- robert