commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [feedparser] News / Status
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 01:04:04 GMT
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 17:50 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 3/2/06, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> > I would have to agree that the release process is a bit daunting.  That's
> > why I haven't released Commons Proxy 1.0 yet.  I really don't know how to do
> > all of that stuff on the release preparation document (md5 signatures and
> > the like).
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Is that really the only reason? With [proxy] (and [scxml] as well),
> one of the glaring reasons I see is that they're still in sandbox. We
> *couldn't* release them right now, irrespective of how daunting the
> task of cutting a release may be. I'd say, its different.

What you can't do is have binaries built from sandbox code then
distributed from the official Apache mirrors. And that seems right to
me; distribution from the official site(s) implies that the project has
passed Apache's tests for quality -- including having a community of
developers trusted by Apache to verify and maintain it.

The fact that the code is still in the sandbox implies that the project
has NOT passed those tests. It doesn't mean the code isn't good; it may
be brilliant. However if there isn't a community of existing apache
committers looking at the code, Apache doesn't *know* it's brilliant.

I believe that binaries can still be built from sandbox code and
distributed from your people.apache.org address, and that the sandbox
site can point to that location as a source of "unofficial" binaries.

If SCXML is factored out of an existing project, then can't you get
half-a-dozen committers from that project to put themselves forward as
commons committers then call for the promotion of SCXML followed by a
release? Approval of existing committers from another Apache project
won't take long, as long as they really are serious about verifying and
maintaing SCXML.

Cheers,

Simon