commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] JCL1 LogFactory incompatibility with WAS
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:02:21 GMT
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 16:17 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:32 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> > > +1 (see above)
> >
> > We could test the class to see if it has an ancestor whose *name* is
> > "org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory". If it does, then we have
> > multiple copies of JCL in the classpath and could emit a warning that
> > commons-logging-adapters.jar should be used instead.
> >
> > That seems like a good idea to me, so unless someone speaks up quickly
> > I'll add code to do that.
>
> Ok, I've enhanced the diagnostics somewhat. The code is rather
> complicated and twisty so I wasn't able to add the test I wanted;
> instead I just give a suggestion about checking for duplicate classes
> and using the commons-logging-adapters jar file.

i have found a way to diagnose this case (use the classloader for the
custom factory class to load LogFactory and then use this to determine
whether the custom class is assignable from it). it works on WAS6 but i
need some more time to tidy up the code (probably be the weekend).

i still think that JCL should not throw exceptions in this case.

- robert