commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] JCL1 LogFactory incompatibility with WAS
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:30:39 GMT
On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:58 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 21:49 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 18:38 +0100, Boris Unckel wrote:
> > > Good evening,
> > >
> > > I have done an additional test.
> > > Yes, it does work. I did not setup a system property and everything was
> > > fine.
> >
> > it should work equally well with the adapters jar removed. (this is the
> > behaviour on WAS6.)
>
> But then there is no webapp-specific log config available. The log
> adapter will be loaded from the shared classpath, so the underlying
> logging lib will be loaded from the shared classpath, and (unless it is
> TCCL-aware) will therefore get its config from the shared classpath
> only.

wasn't advocating this configuration, just wanted to ensure that the
problem is fully understood.

in the case of WAS, the presence or absence of the adapters jar should
make absolutely no difference unless the system property is set. unless
overridden by a system property, all other settings will be ignored and
all messages will be directed to the WAS logging system.

when the system property is set to the usual value, the full jar can
safely be used (i think).

- robert