commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] JCL1 LogFactory incompatibility with WAS
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:58:55 GMT
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 21:49 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 18:38 +0100, Boris Unckel wrote:
> > Good evening,
> >
> > I have done an additional test.
> > > Von: Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org>
> > > Boris, would you please replace commons-logging-1.1-RC5.jar with
> > > commons-logging-adapters-1.1-RC5.jar in your webapp and retest?
> > Yes, it does work. I did not setup a system property and everything was
> > fine.
>
> it should work equally well with the adapters jar removed. (this is the
> behaviour on WAS6.)

But then there is no webapp-specific log config available. The log
adapter will be loaded from the shared classpath, so the underlying
logging lib will be loaded from the shared classpath, and (unless it is
TCCL-aware) will therefore get its config from the shared classpath
only.

> > > General comment: the fact that WAS has a custom LogFactory
> > > implementation means that most of the improvements we added to the 1.1
> > > release of JCL won't be available to WAS. The only thing we need to do
> > > is make sure that the changes we made to the base LogFactory abstract
> > > class haven't made anything *worse*. I'll review the changes to
> > > LogFactory.java to see if there are any implications for custom
> > > implementations. Maybe the user guide could do with a note about the
> > > fact that WAS uses a custom LogFactory implementation....
> > No. I tried the following:
> > I have replaced the original IBM supplied 1.0.3 commons-logging-api.jar withat
> > the RC5 one. It works fine. You can see the expected diagnosted output.
>
> good :)

Definitely!

Thanks Boris.