commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [feedparser] News / Status
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:27:20 GMT
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 10:06 -0800, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > For anyone interested, I came across the following regarding Kevin Burton
> > and Feedparser
> >
> > http://tailrank.com/code.php
> >
> > Seems a shame that bureaucracy has put him off working within the ASF.
>

> My perception is that Kevin was never able to attract enough developers to
> feedparser to get binding votes (or even get it accepted into Commons
> Propert, which is a prerequisite).  It is not likely to have anything to do
> with the technical aspects of the release process :-).

That's definitely a problem a few projects have encountered. I think
that's not a flaw with commons though; it's just an indicator that a new
project with only a small developer base really doesn't belong here. To
me, commons is about stable and reliable software not necessarily
cutting edge or experimental. Our procedures ensure that releases are
good quality but as a result do impose a significant burden (all the RC
cycles, votes, etc).

We should probably be more careful about what projects are accepted into
commons. Existing successful code factored out of another project
because people want to use it in multiple projects -- fine. That's the
original basis for commons. Brand new code with small developer
communities could perhaps be better developed elsewhere but using the
Apache license so it can become a commons component later if desirable.

The real problem to me is where a popular commons component becomes more
"stable" and thus community dwindles to the point where there aren't
enough votes to continue maintenance releases. Logging is marginal as is
Digester; lots of users but not many developers.

Cheers,

Simon