commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [all] jar signing with jarsigner
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:16:57 GMT
I would say that having the infrastructure team, or some other team, do the
signing might be a good idea.  Maybe there could be a mechanism for us to
login through some web portal and request that certain files be signed and
"published" rather than doing it ourselves.  Having a jar signed by The
Apache Software Foundation (and publishing the ASF certificate) would
definitely make it easier for users to make up security policies which
allows them to "trust" the code that comes from us (like giving HiveMind the
ability to create classes on the fly using Javassist in application
servers).

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Libbrecht [mailto:paul@activemath.org]
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 3:56 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [all] jar signing with jarsigner

As far as I could see such a thing... jar signing would need to happen
on Apache server... using some Apache private key... right ?
Maybe this is a first issue ?
How would you go to ensure that such a private key is not hacked or copied ?
Let infrastructure team do the signing ?

I suppose that, with Java Web Start, the jar-signing mechanism may
request at least one authorization for each signing key...

paul