commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [all] release and build improvements: status?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:05:28 GMT

"Brett Porter" <brett@apache.org> wrote in message
news:43F938DC.2070408@apache.org...
> Bill Barker wrote:
>> Well, I'm only making progress slowly in understanding Maven 2 enough to
>> create a plugin for the Repository that points to the Gump-built jars
>> instead of the one declaired in the POM.  If nobody that actually knows
>> Maven 2 wants to step up on general@gump, it's going to be a long time
>> before this happens ;-).
>
> I am on general@gump, and I've already detailed how I will implement
> this in Maven, at length. I don't have time right now, but others are
> welcome to try. I don't imagine it will be a difficult change at all and
> I can certainly help. I don't believe changes are required in Gump other
> than to add a Maven 2 builder that you've already done, so a would be
> volunteer need not learn python.

Yes, I know (and much appreciate) your plan for Maven 2 support in Gump.
I've even come around on the issue of parsing the Gump descriptors (since we
still have so many problems with transitive dependancies with Maven 1).  I
was simply trying to lure somebody else in until you had time :).  And, yes,
if any changes are required on the Python side to get this working, I'm more
than happy to do them (so that Python knowledge is totally unnecessary to
anybody that wants get involved :).

> I'm not sure what your plugin is that you refer to? A Maven plugin or a
> Gump plugin?
>
> In Maven, plugins are resolved from the repository too, so come in too
> late to introduce this. It needs a replacement dependency resolver
> installed in Maven, which was what I've proposed.
>
>> Actually, I understand that modeler won't build under Maven at all, and
>> the
>> daemon ant script is also unrelated to the (brain-dead) output of Maven.
>
> The modeler build in SVN seems to work just fine under Maven. Yes, the
> generated ant scripts are fairly brain dead, but will work for anything
> with a simple Maven build. If you need to customise the build with
> plugins then they are not mapped into the generated Ant script and it
> will need to be maintained by hand.

Modeler is pretty straight-forward (assuming it works).  Daemon (because of
the native dependancy) is a little bit more complex, and I can't see that
Maven will replace Ant on this one (mostly since it has two active
developers, neither of whom seem to want to learn Maven enough to try :).