commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Re: [id] Composite identifiers
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:30:23 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote on Monday, February 06, 2006 9:07 PM:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>> I just committed a first cut at a CompositeIdentifierGenerator along
>> the lines of what we have discussed.  To replace the prefix
>> generators with this, we either have to modify the factories or
>> introduce a ConstantIdentifierGenerator.   If others (Michael?) have
>> better / different ideas on how to handle this, I am happy to review
>> patches or replace this implementation.
>
> Looks fine. I've added the missing minLength/maxLength
> implementations and made it serializable. I would add a
> ConstantIdentifierGenerator.

What about adding adding a method to StringIdentifierGenerator to deal with StringBuffers?

StringBuffer nextIdentifier(StringBuffer buffer);

The implementation should append the next identifier to the buffer and return it. This would
make the concatenation more efficient and may be also useful for other use cases where the
returned id is added to a String.

- Jörg