commons-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <b.unc...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [logging] please check release candidate 5
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:58:25 GMT
Hello,

@Robert and Simon: I have sent this eMail to your personal adresses as
BCC because I do not know if any file attachments are
allowed on the list.

robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> I can test on WSAD and WAS if there is interest. We have situations
>> where a company propietary logging
>> framework fails, I can reproduce them with JCL.
>>

> yes please :)
>
> thanks for all the help
>
> - robert
>
> Yes please!
>
> If there are any issues (hopefully there won't be), please enable JCL's
> diagnostic output and include that in the bugreport or email. Details on
> enabling diagnostic output are in the release notes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon
I have started my tests and the first one led to an error.
Environment: WSAD 5.1
Simple Enterprise Project, including one EAR and depending EJB and WAR
project.
EAR includes commons-logging...jar and WAR with WEB-INF/lib includes
commons-logging...jar
The Server is set to classloader multiple, ear is in Module - ParentLast
mode, war (as child of the ear) is in ParentLast mode.
For those who do not know WSAD/WAS:
- Module: An child WAR of an EAR has its own classloader, which is child
of the EAR's classloader
- Application: EAR and WAR share the same classloader, most times the
JAR of WEB-INF/lib wins (not documented, my own subjective observation)

There is just ONE difference between the working and the error version:
Working: JVM parameter
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
is set
Error: There is no -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory specified

See ZIP with System.out / System.err for details.

What tests and test combinations do you expect? There are dozens..

Server;  EAR;  WAR
No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentLast commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentLast
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader multiple; module, parentLast, ;
parentLast

No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader multiple; module, parentLast ;
parentFirst

No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentFirst,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader multiple; module, parentFirst,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader multiple; module, parentFirst ;
parentFirst

===

No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentLast commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentLast
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader single; module, parentLast, ;
parentLast

No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentLast,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader single; module, parentLast ;
parentFirst

No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentFirst,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst commons-logging.jar on path
No special loglib, classloader single; module, parentFirst,
commons-logging.jar on path; parentFirst
commons-logging.jar on path, classloader single; module, parentFirst ;
parentFirst

Regards
Boris