commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] release and build improvements: status?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:34:52 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> Well, I'm only making progress slowly in understanding Maven 2 enough to
> create a plugin for the Repository that points to the Gump-built jars
> instead of the one declaired in the POM.  If nobody that actually knows
> Maven 2 wants to step up on general@gump, it's going to be a long time
> before this happens ;-).

I am on general@gump, and I've already detailed how I will implement
this in Maven, at length. I don't have time right now, but others are
welcome to try. I don't imagine it will be a difficult change at all and
I can certainly help. I don't believe changes are required in Gump other
than to add a Maven 2 builder that you've already done, so a would be
volunteer need not learn python.

I'm not sure what your plugin is that you refer to? A Maven plugin or a
Gump plugin?

In Maven, plugins are resolved from the repository too, so come in too
late to introduce this. It needs a replacement dependency resolver
installed in Maven, which was what I've proposed.

> Actually, I understand that modeler won't build under Maven at all, and the
> daemon ant script is also unrelated to the (brain-dead) output of Maven.

The modeler build in SVN seems to work just fine under Maven. Yes, the
generated ant scripts are fairly brain dead, but will work for anything
with a simple Maven build. If you need to customise the build with
plugins then they are not mapped into the generated Ant script and it
will need to be maintained by hand.

- Brett