commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r377094 - in /jakarta/commons/sandbox/exec/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/exec/ main/java/org/apache/commons/exec/environment/ main/java/org/apache/commons/exec/launcher/ test/java/org/apache/commons/exec/
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:54:07 GMT
This sounds fine. I have to admit I still haven't gotten my head around
the current state of things as much as I'd like.

Will it still be possible to construct a command line in the way I've

If not, is it possible this class could take both types of arguments?

- Brett

Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> I don't think your missing anything. The idea was to get closer in line
> to how the JDK does this.
> The quote handling would with this design be done within the
> implementation of the command runner (e.g. Execute), that's why the
> commit message said I was coming back to that. That default
> implementation would use the Ant code.
> However, if you do not think this is a good idea, I'll be happy to back
> it out.
> /niklas
> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but are you sure you want this?
>> At least in plexus-utils, constructing a command line with
>> cl.addArg().setLine(), cl.addArg.setValue(), etc is *much* friendlier
>> than creating a string array.
>> Also, the quote handling is one of the most key things to this library.
>> Are you sure it will get back to the well tested state that Ant had this
>> code in? It's really the only problem I have with the plexus-utils
>> version of the library.
>> - Brett
>> wrote:
>>> Author: ngn
>>> Date: Sat Feb 11 16:14:47 2006
>>> New Revision: 377094
>>> Log:
>>> Replacing the CommandLine class with String[] to work more like the
>>> JDK classes. Note that for now this also removes the special handling
>>> of quotes. Get back to this later.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message