commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [csv] Priorisation of enhancements
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:59:51 GMT
On 2/22/06, Stefan Rufer <stefan.rufer@netcetera.ch> wrote:
> Henry proposed a series of enhancements for the commons-csv, including:
>
>   - performance (poor for current implementation)
>   - features
>   - naming/design (introduce Csv instead of String[][], introduce
>     CsvStrategy class)
>
> For details of the tests and feature list see
>    http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-csv/
>
> IMO a possible priorisation of these tasks is:
>
> 1) naming/design
> 2) performance
> 3) features

Given the slow performance of the current codebase, I'm tempted to
think that 2) should be moving in parallel with 1). Either by
hand-optimising the current one via a tool like YourKit or JProfiler;
or by leaping over to generating a parser via a parser generator and
making the assumption that it'll give us a performance improvement.

Sorry for not replying to your previous emails; I'm right at the end
of organizing a move to a new city, so my spare time has been
demolished for the past few weeks.

Hen