commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cli] Moving forward
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:29:38 GMT
On 2/13/06, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:

> > This is a tough question. There has already been a release of CLI
> > which did
> > not include the CLI2 API, and there are doubtless users of CLI out
> > there who
> > will not be interested in migrating to the CLI2.
>
> for sure
>

> > However, CLI2 has the idea of argument validators, and I think
> > that's quite a
> > handy feature of the API.
>
> yepp +1
>

> >> We do need to agree that cli2 is the way forward, comparing the APIs
> >> to see if it feels better is one of my todo's. What do the rest of
> >> you
> >> think? Martin/James/anyone else?
> >
> > I think you're right, we do need to compare the two APIs to make a
> > rational
> > decision. Maybe there's some scope for maintaining the current CLI
> > API while
> > merging in some of the nice validation stuff from CLI2? Whatever
> > the choice,
> > we should at least maintain a compatibility interface with this API
> > so that
> > users only have to change their code if they want to use the nice
> > parts of
> > CLI2.
>
> TBH cli1 has lived for sooo long without further releases
> why not only put it into bug fix mode and other than that
> move forward. The old jars won't go away.

+1. If we branch off a 1.x branch; it'll be releasable if people
clamour. Plus we can keep applying patches when applied; however there
will be a whole bunch of bugs that will just get marked as WONTFIX
beause the solution is to rewrite cli1.

On the compatibility interface; I'd rather just drop it and spend that
effort on migration documentation. Does raise the question of whether
the cli2 package name ever becomes cli. Having it as cli2 does avoid
any surprises; things flat out won't work.

Hen