commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC: #commons ?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:08:33 GMT

> > I've been using IRC more recently for various apache channels. It's
> > quite a fun thing to do. Any thoughts on connecting to a #commons at
> > irc.freenode.net?
> >
> > The obvious negative to be listed is the worry that it'll pull
> > important information off of the -dev list and bugs will get answered
> > that won't go onto the -user list's history. The first is easy to fix;
> > we just bear in mind that IRC is just a place to chat for us
> > committers. The second is harder, but I think we can deal with it if
> > it starts to feel like its happening.
> >
> > Another negative is that a minority may be strictly firewalled and
> > unable to contribute.
>

> Another negative, and one that's always been a clincher for me whenever
> discussions about IRC come up, is that it's much more time-sensitive than
> e-mail. That is, it's pretty much impossible for people from all parts of
> the world to participate in the same discussion, unless some of them don't
> sleep or are nocturnal in nature.

I'm not sure that that's a terrible thing - especially in the case of
Commons. For any one conversation at Commons, there will only be a
small number of people actually interested in the topic that people
are currently talking about.

So in the case of a component; if we have a few people active in that,
they can discuss the issue and either move ahead with it and post a
'we've done/are-doing this' to the list; or in the case of a big
thing, like switching Commons to a Flash interface, the IRC channel
can be used to have a general chat about it, and then it can be taken
to the list.

It's important to maintain a culture whereby IRC discussions are
secondary to the list; you don't make decisions to do things there,
you gel out ideas to take to the community. The same on user bugs or
ideas of new components; I imagine we'd ask the user to bugzilla that
bug, or that that new component sounds cool, they should make a wiki
page and mail to -dev.

I think what I'm driving at here is that people won't be shut out of
the conversation, we'll just have the chance for more preparation
before a conversation is kicked off.

Hen