commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-email needs care
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:05:08 GMT
On 2/8/06, Piero Ottuzzi <piero.ottuzzi@omnys.it> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I already read URLs you proposed and they simply say to open a bug or send a patch; in
commons-mail bugzilla you can find about 10 open bugs many of them with patch attached.
> If you look at SVN commons-mail repository you can't see any commit in source code in
the last 5 month; I think the problem is not to post a bug or a patch (both things already
done) but to apply these patches to SVN repository.

Well, the problem is to review those patches and then commit. Then
once committed, to plan a release and get something out. We're very
noticeably becoming slowly overwhelmed by the component to
active-committer count in Commons, so finding ways to keep juggling
all these things is critical.

My suggestion; write up a summary of the issues for the list. Let's
say I had a free few hours tomorrow and wanted to get [email] moving.
I'd take a look at the issues in [email]; possibly do an svn log on
the codebase to see if I can judge how much change there has been
since the last release; I'd check the code out of svn and make sure it
compiles for me. Then I'd write up an email explaining any problems
with compiling, discussing the features in svn waiting to be released
and listing each bug with commentary on each.

Probably all of that before I actually applied any bugs or any fixes.
Then I'd either

a) apply patches that I think sound good from bugzilla to my local
source and prove that they compile. I'd double check the tests
involved to make sure the test is testing the patch. Usual TDD bit
here, write a test to fail, then apply patch - feel warm and cozy when
it works.

b) start fixing bugs without patches - and submit them to bugzilla
with tests etc. I'd then send an email to the list, possibly as a
reply to my first email, saying that I've fixed bug N.

It's only when it came time to commit a) or b) that I'd actually need
to be a committer. So don't let that hold you back.

> If it would be possible I would like to step as committer for the common-mail repository
at least to do some house-keeping.
> I hope I was not too harsh or ambitious.

Nope, not too harsh or ambititous at all. We really want to turn users
into committers, it's a pretty cool thing to watch someone getting
more and more into the community and committing things.

'Committer' is a good word for explaining why we don't leap on offers
- we need to see commitment. The reality is that there is very little
that you actually need svn access for; you can drive things without
being a committer and if you start driving things - a vote on
committership will probably follow a little after it's needed. Such is
life :)

Hen