commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [primitives] objects indexed by int's and long's
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:16:02 GMT
On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 21:37 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I believe that an IntMap and similar classes uis a valuable addition to
> [primitives]. However there is a case for releasing the current SVN code
>   as v1.1 before adding any new code.

branching, tagging and merging is quick and easy in subversion. much
better than CVS :)

releasing can take can a few weeks. holding up new work on a component
that has been stable for a while for a new release results in a loss of
momentum. AIUI there's also work to be done on the commons build
systems.

the approach taken with pool was to create a tag for a possible future
1.3 release (the existing code base with fixes) before add new code.
we're about ready to think about cutting a 1.3 release which will
probably be followed promptly by a 2.0 release. this has worked well.

i was just floating the idea ATM but are there any objection to create a
release branch for 1.1 rather than freezing the code?

- robert