commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.0 As Alpha1
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:59:45 GMT
On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 16:12 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 2/18/06, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> > --8<-------------------------------------------------------------------
> > [ ] +1 Approve this process
> > [ ] +0
> > [X] -0
> > [ ] -1 Do not use this process
>
> I think it would be a mistake to label it as "alpha". In my mind this
> implies either an API that is unstable and subject to change and/or
> software which isn't fully finished. As such many people may ignore an
> "alpha" release and it could reduce the number of people who test it
> out - since we want it tested as widely as possible my vote would be
> that it is labelled "beta" once it "satisfies the quality standards
> required for jakarta commons releases", rather than "alpha".

i had it in mind to release the alpha without a major announcement
outside the commons. we need to approach some important downstream users
and re-packagers (jboss, axis, tomcat etc) with the new code. a beta for
public consumption and testing would follow once the alpha's been
checked by developers for those projects.

but i can live with going straight to beta if that's what people think
best...

- robert