commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [pool] how about new release and incubating my composite pool implementation
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:03:36 GMT
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:51 -0500, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> Two things:
>
> First, how about a new pool release? Commons Pool 1.2 is 1.5 years old
> and contains some significant bugs that have been fixed in SVN
> including:
> * synchronization issues found by Mayur Naik
> * GenericObjectPool in 1.2 is a LIFO, not a FIFO as documented and expected
> * 1.2 Depends on a depreciated collections class (SVN doesn't need
> commons collections at all)
> * a good number of other fixes too

+1

> Second, I'm confident that I have my paperwork in order now for the
> composite pool implementation I first announced November 2005
> available at: http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/ I just need a member of
> Apache to shepherd if through the incubator process.

i'm a member but that shouldn't really be necessary in this case: it's
just IP clearance. the incubator works as the first point contact for
all external IP whether it's a new project (and so needs community
building) or a contribution to an existing project developed elsewhere
(just IP clearance required).

> You can find my original announcement at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200511.mbox/%3c6bde122b0511082217h6a4671f4v8f30aed5512e44d2@mail.gmail.com%3e
> that mentions all the big feature, there have been smaller
> improvements since then. I also benchmarked my composite
> implementation to be between 40% to 55% faster than the
> GenericObjectPool.

cool :)

i should have wheels in motion by the end of weekend at the latest

- robert