commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject [logging] JCL 1.1 status
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 06:02:34 GMT
Hi All,

I'm back from my trip and ready to help with the logging 1.1 release
again.

Robert, I see from the email archives that you've been working on a
couple of logging issues.

Regarding the "badly behaved TCCL" thing, I remember some discussion
earlier on this topic. Someone raised a bugzilla entry requesting
something like this, to handle a JCI invocation. In this case, there are
two webapps in a container, and one gets a reference to an object in
another via a JNDI lookup and then invokes it. The thread with the
original app's TCCL is then executing inside the other webapp's classes!
I think I turned the proposed change down, though, and for a good reason
- which I've now forgotten. I'll need to trawl through the closed
bugzilla reports to find the details.

I'm a bit confused by your patch for the "getParent returns null" thing.
I'll have a second look, though, and see if I can get my head around it.

Have you fixed the "guards needed around diagnostic output" issue? If
not, I'm happy to double-check for any problem cases. Note, however,
that diagnostics are never output during normal logging operation, only
during the discovery/initialisation bits. Those really aren't
time-critical as they only occur once per webapp, and at a time when we
are scanning the classpath for config files, etc., which has far more
impact on performance than a few string concatenations.

Cheers,

Simon