commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [collections] New utility methods for CollectionUtils & ListUtils
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:23:58 GMT
Couldn't that be kind of dangerous?  I mean, what if someone actually does
include Commons Lang (or whatever the dependency is) on the classpath and it
overrides the class that's included in your jar?  It would be a nightmare
trying to figure out what's going on.  Or, worse yet, the implementation
included in the Collections jar would override what's in the dependency jar!
All this would be dependent upon which jar shows up first on the classpath.

-----Original Message-----
From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:25 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [collections] New utility methods for CollectionUtils &
ListUtils

> This could be useful, but would need to be done without a
> dependency on commons-lang.

We already talked about that at the ApacheCon.

Maybe it would useful to loosen such requirements by using tools like
"minijar"

  http://vafer.org/blog/tag/minijar

or "proguard + jarjar"

  http://proguard.sourceforge.net/
  http://tonicsystems.com/products/jarjar/

we add the dependency so we don't duplicate code but strip the
unnecessary classes
and inline the remaining.

WDYT?

cheers