commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Gant <john.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] JSR 247: Data Mining 2.0
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:00:24 GMT
Reviewed the specification, and can say that it seems to contain some
nice algorithms. I think [math] could add some very important
methodologies for time series analysis (for instance smoothing
algorithms, AR, MA, ARMA (if desired), and other decomposition
methodologies). Phil, how can [math] contribute to this specification?
Noticed that the distance measures (within clustering algorithms) are
pluggable but didn't see a list of distance measures in this spec,
should [math] create or contribute to this list?

John

> There is an early draft available for download here:
> http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/edr/jsr247/index.html
>
> I have just started reviewing this.  We may want to provide some
> collective input to this, as there is some overlap with what we have
> already implemented in .stat.   I am willing to collect and
> consolidate feedback if there is interest in providing this to the EG.
>  If we decide to go further into data mining, we will want to look at
> this very carefully.
>
> I will also review and apply patches in /experimental if anyone wants
> to start experimenting with providing a [math]-based implementation of
> some part of the spec.
>
> Phil

John Gant