commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [exec] API sketch?
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:34:12 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> /*
>>  * StreamHandlers are used for providing input,
>>  * retriving the output. Also used for logging.
>>  */
>> StreamHandler getStreamHandler();
>> void setStreamHandler(StreamHandler streamHandler);
>
> My only comments on these is that I don't see the point of the setters
> in the interface - is it a requirement of the use of the library, or is
> it an implementation detail? (eg, I use plexus which instantiates
> objects implementations with private field injection, some use setters
> through reflection, some through a constructor - I'm not sure the
> interface requires it).
 >
 > As for the stream handler - what is the contents of that interface? Does
 > it have an input, output and error stream?

In this sketch, the StreamHandler provide the streams for in, out and
err. There are some examples of StreamHandlers in the current code.

In one way or another this functionality would be required in the API.

> You have commit access now, so if you want to start writing some example
> code (or create a fresh branch, even), you're welcome to.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to get some input here before getting going :-)

/niklas

-------
Niklas Gustavsson
http://www.protocol7.com