commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <>
Subject Re: [logging] please check release candidate 1
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:46:41 GMT
On 1/23/06, robert burrell donkin <> wrote:

> > Folks -
> >
> > Sincere apologies if this seems to be in the way of anyone doing the
> > real work. There are jars out there marked 1.1, and I'm not
> > comfortable with this. I'm aware of the httpd/struts/tomcat process,
> > but we need to collectively decide before any components start
> > deviating from (what I understand is) Commons policy.
> it's tradition rather than policy. the only policy we have is in the
> charter. the rest is social convention and tradition but that doesn't
> mean it's not important - in fact the opposite.

Yup, I merely exercised what I considered my social responsibility to ask :-)

> > I'm all for JCL 1.1, but IMO, the above approach should have been
> > discussed before posting these files.
> it's just a few files posted to my home directory for checking. there
> hasn't been a vote and no formal announcement. it's not a release, just
> a bad release candidate.

I understand, but consider this timeline:

a) We put up binaries marked for a release that hasn't been voted on
in personal webspace (but in the domain)
b) We post on the dev list / in bugzilla entries asking folks to try these out
c) Some do as suggested in (b)
d) Changes are made to the code and/or packaging, and the release takes place
e) Release is downloaded. Some in (c) update to correct binaries
diligently, some forget
f) We have differing copies of the same marked release out in the wild

Marked as RC, things are different. FWIW, this was my concern.

> but thanks for highlighting the issue: i've had a chance to sleep on
> this and i think that they should have been versioned (even if that
> makes my life a lot more difficult). RC2 will be.

OK, and sorry for any trouble.

> - robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: