commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Rufer <stefan.ru...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: [lang] StringUtils consumes a lot of memory ?
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:02:54 GMT
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> The problem is as follows: upon reloading a really simple webapp in
> Tomcat (5.5.12, Windows XP SP2,  Java 1.5.0_04-b05) 5 times, there are
> 5 instances of StringUtils (or more precisely, their static fields)
> still in the memory (seems Tomcat uses a different classloader for
> StringUtils, but that is a different issue).

I've heard about issues that objects whose static variables are not
null are not garbage collected for certain JVM / classloader
combinations. Tomcat suffers from this as well and this explains why you
find "old" instances of StringUtils in memory.

Maybe this is a starting point:
http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

cu
Stefan