commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [id] Review before 1.0 (Summary)
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:33:08 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote on Monday, January 16, 2006 11:13 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> The release plan is available now:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/id/1.0ReleasePlan
>
>  > "Refactor PrefixXXXGeneratorIdentifier implementations"
> This should be done with great care. id generation is very performance
> and sync sensitive in many systems.

I am sure, Phil will take care of it, if he starts refactoring. But basically there is not
much difference by just decorating an arbitrary StringIdentifierGenerator and prefixing the
resulting id compared to the current implementations - and the AbstractStringIdentifierGenerator
could implement a protected nextStringBufferIdentifier method. Talking about transformation
is another issue though ...

>  > "Introduce a Wrappable interface for serial generators
> that may wrap"
> Why. What _real_ benefit does it give. This isn't a nice pretty OO
> library - its a basic toolkit.

Basically in an IoC environment an IdentifierGenerator is just configured and the application
has then an easy way to determin by the type of the generator, if it is wrappable and may
request or set the flag. Another issue is, that we unify the API of the functionality (and
have to document it only once). But I feel not strong about it.

- Jörg