commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Barnett, James" <James.Barn...@aspect.com>
Subject RE: [scxml] compliance with SCXML Working Draft
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:09:08 GMT
We hope to have a new working draft of the SCXML spec out soon (i.e. a
week or two), which  will tighten up the syntactic definition.  The
'initialstate' attribute will be required.
In general, for conformance issues, we will want to focus on the new
draft, rather than the existing one.  (But the new draft will leave the
semantics vague in a number of places - we hope to tighten them up in
the following draft.)

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim OBrien [mailto:tobrien@discursive.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 10:23 AM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [scxml] compliance with SCXML Working Draft

I'm trying to use SCXMLDigester to read an SCXML file without an
"initialstate" attribute defined
on the <scxml> document element.  Doing so throws a "SEVERE: No SCXML
child state with ID "null"
found; illegal initialstate for SCXML document"

The Working Draft
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-scxml-20050705/#Semantics) doesn't specify
whether
or not the initialstate attribute is required, and from the examples in
sections E1 and E2, SCXML
documents without this attribute are presented.  I'm assuming that there
can be state chart XML
documents that do not specify an initial state until the draft is
updated.

updateSCXML in SCXMLDigester assumes that this attribute is present.
Rahil, I propose that if the
initialstate is not present this method shouldn't print an error message
"SEVERE", it should just
skip setting the initialstate.  I believe that the default behavior
works, but the error message
is misleading.