commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] JSSE classes in FTPS WAS Re: [net] FTPS submission - legal issues
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:32:51 GMT
Thank you for this explanation.  It is good to actually look at the code
instead of making assumptions, which is what I have been doing.

The JSSE's jar does not provide javax.net.ssl versions of the
com.sun.net.ssl interfaces  And, after doing a little research, I find
that there are differences between JSSE 1.0.3 and the packages in JDK
1.4, such that there is no backward compatibility.  Basically, JSSE
1.0.x is a prototype, a hack through which Sun worked out the bugs,
culminating in the better implementation that they released in 1.4.
They did not just move the JSSE.jar code into JDK 1.4.  They also
improved it.

Since these are new classes for us, I think it makes little sense to tie
into backward compatibility from the start, when that backward
compatibility is already out of date.  I don't think there is a clean
way to have one code base that will work the way we'd like it for both
cases.

Therefore, I think the solution for this is for Jakarta Commons Net to
take Rory Winston's suggestion and start a new branch of Commons Net for
JDK 1.4 only (for this and other reasons) and maintain two branches for
awhile, the current HEAD branch for 1.3 compatibility and the new branch
for 1.4.  The new branch can use the javax.ssl.net classes, the old one
can use com.sun.net.