commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] JDK 1.4+ Branch?
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:05:45 GMT
Rory Winston wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been following the email threads re: JSSE and FTPS functionality.
> I think that this might be a good point to consider introducing a
> version of Commons-Net that uses JDK 1.4+ as a baseline. My reasoning is
> as follows:
>
> * We could remove the (oro) jar dependency;
> * FTPS support would not necessitate a separate (JSSE) jar dependency;
> * It could be a good opportunity to "clean up" the threading code and
> socket handling, and make use of NIO;
> * It also may be easier to incrementally add new functionality, such as
> Proxy support
>
> Of course, JDK-1.3-compatible releases could still continue on HEAD, or
> we could move the 1.4+ branch to HEAD and the 1.3 code to a maintenance
> branch.
>
> As a simple proof-of-concept, I have set up a sandbox branch and made
> some minor enhancements, including:
>
> * Changing oro-dependant code to use Java regex code instead
>
> Any comments?

The only negative I can find is that our contributor of the FTPS stuff
badly wants 1.3 compatibility.  And I have a feeling that he's not the
only one.  1.3 is not yet End of Life according to Sun, although it will
be soon.  My sense is that we lag Sun by some interval of time on these
issues.  I don't think we're going to be able to get away with saying
"no more enhancements for JDK1.3" for awhile.  So this will probably
mean maintaining two branches for some time.