commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] JSSE classes in FTPS WAS Re: [net] FTPS submission - legal issues
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:31:51 GMT
Jose Juan Montiel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, thanks for your attention, and your time to improve
> Jakarta Commons Net.
>
> Then I would like to finish this point.
>
> When you had to choose the way to implement FTPS, you propose:
>
>>3.  Maybe.  use the javax.net.ssl classes but document that if used with
>>JDK < 1.4, jsse.jar must be on the classpath.
>

> And I said:
>
>>The 3ยบ option it not possible, because, don't work under 1.3, although
>>import jsse.jar... need change the import in source code...
>

> And you ask:
>
>>Well if option 3 won't work, that changes things, but can you tell us
>>how it fails?
>

> I said that option don't work under JDK 1.3, because javax.net.ssl its
> only in JDK 1.4.
>
> In those days, the list ask about the JDK that you use...
>
> I think that Jakarta support JDK 1.3, its a good idea, because
> although 1.3 its too old... thera are a lot of servers that run on
> this....
>
> In this case i think, that implement FTPS using com.sun.... its the
> best option because, it run on 1.3 (importing JSSE) and 1.4 (where you
> dont need any aditiona jar import....)
>
> And finally, what will be the choice...?
>
> Thanks for all.

What I think you're missing is that if you put jsse.jar on your
classpath, you can use javax.net.ssl with java 1.3.  And the commons-net
team would prefer to go that way because Sun says that com.sun.net may
go away with some future release, but not javax.net.  Yes, this would be
a small inconvenience for java 1.3 users, but the stability is worth it.