commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] src-ide and javadoc-ide?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:34:28 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> IIRC good reasons were put forward a while ago for starting to
> distribute jars aimed at IDE users. src-ide.zip would contain compressed
> source and javadoc-ide.zip javadocs. (or similar names)
>
> these should contain LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt. a META-INF directory
> sounds like a good place to store them.
>
> but should these jar's contain a MANIFEST?
>
> opinions, please

This is a good thing to do. I've created source jars for my own use,
much like the src-ide you describe.

I use IDEA and it is satisfied with only the src. From that it derives
the JavaDocs automagically. Don't know about other IDE:s but IDEA
handles jar files quite nicely - no need for zip files.

Depending on how the files will be named, it might be of interest to
have a MANIFEST. Would the files contain version number? The MANIFEST
should contain the correct specification and implementation version for
the component.

--
Dennis Lundberg