commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] please check release candidate 1
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:35:56 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 09:35 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
>>> need a 1.4 JVM to compile the java.util stuff but the rest of the code
>>> needs to run fine on earlier JVMs.
>>>
>>> javac settings will care of the differences in class formats but changes
>>> to the system libraries mean that you should compile against the 1.2
>>> java system libraries. this can be done either by using a 1.2 JSDK or by
>>> using a later JSDK and setting bootclasspath appropriately.
>>>
>>> if we were confident that our unit tests had 100% code coverage then
>>> compiling with a 1.4 JSDK would probably be safe enough. i'm not that
>>> confident and every other JCL release i've cut has used 2 JSDKs. so, i'm
>>> more confident to use the system i know works.
>> Ok, sounds entirely reasonable. I agree there are corner cases where
>> target doesn't solve the problem (eg the new StringBuffer overloaded
>> methods in more recent JVMs).
>>
>> It might be nice to note this somewhere, eg as a comment in the
>> build.xml file or similar.
>
> the latest build.xml now supports dual compilation (1.2 and 1.4). the
> ant task should be run by a 1.2 JDK and a build.property set the a 1.4
> compiler. there's some documentation but i hope to return to this later
> (unless anyone else beats me to it).
>
> i'm now trying to think about whether to add a task to build the source
> distributions. one advantage is that it would automatically standardise
> the EOLs. one disadvantage is that it would require using exec to call
> svn directly. another is that it should really be loaded from a tag
> which would mean another build property.

Robert, why would you need to use svn? If you are adding this to easy
the creating of RC:s and releases, then I would imagine that the release
manager has already checked out the correct tag from svn. If that is the
case then the source is already checked out as well, you just need to
package it.

--
Dennis Lundberg